CERAMICS INSTRUCTOR POSITION
Applications Due by March 4th, 2022
Radius Art Studio is looking for Ceramics Instructors to join our clay community.
We are seeking outgoing, creative and compassionate persons with a desire to share knowledge and uplift the ceramic community through education and connection. Instructors will be responsible for teaching a 12-week wheel throwing course including glazing and firing fundamentals. The classes meet once a week for 2.5 hours but the weekly commitment is closer to 3 hours with setup/ cleanup..
Come teach at our brand new clay studio conveniently located in the heart of the Belmont neighborhood. Our studio is fully equipped with 18 pottery wheels, 4 electric kilns, and a large gas kiln. Additional equipment includes a slab roller, multiple large work tables, and in-house glazes.
Queer/woman-owned business located in Portland, OR
Since 2002, Radius Art Studio has been a creative community offering ceramics workshops, maker memberships, a gallery, and a handmade retail shop. We believe that creativity is power, and our vision is to provide opportunities for everyone to explore that power within themselves. We are artists, makers, and friends who welcome the contributions and perspectives of all people. We strive to offer space and accessible ceramics education for adults of all skill levels in a fun and supportive environment. We also partner with Ulna Studio and other artists/art organizations to cross-promote art events and workshops beyond the medium of clay.
Follow what we are up to on Instagram @radiusartstudio
- Academic and/or professional background necessary to teach an in-depth ceramic course to adults.
- At least one year experience in a teaching or mentorship role.
- The ability to work with students from diverse academic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds.
- The ability to respond to cultural shifts and changing community support needs
- Proof of vaccination
- BFA or MFA in ceramics
- Knowledge of kiln design, repair, and firing
- Knowledge of glaze formulation and composition
- CV with an artist residency experience and gallery shows
- A weekly 2.5-hour instructional workshop. Instructors will demonstrate techniques and assist students as they work on their pieces.
- Brief weekly check-in with management.
- Studio cleaning and closedown after each class
- Creating an environment where students feel comfortable and engaged with the instructor, the space, and the medium.
- Some on-the-job training before the workshop starts to become familiarized with the studio and our syllabus. Amount of training required will depend on previous experience teaching.
The pay range starts at $50/hour and increases depending on experience.
HOW TO APPLY
Please fill out the application form. This form may also be found on our website radiusstudio.org, and in our instagram bio (via linktree).
Applications close March 4th. We will reach out to those we wish to interview shortly after reviewing.
The interview process will start with a video call. Second interviews will be held in person, and the final interview will be a paid working interview.