Call for proposals: 2019 Ray Grimm Memorial Award – ($1500) For Clay Educators. Deadline April 1, 2019
The Oregon Potters Association is celebrating the life and work of Ray Grimm, offering a $1500 award to a clay arts educator to use in their classroom to enhance the program for students.
The Legacy Ray left to us
Raymond taught ceramics and hot glass at Portland State University for 32 years and Cannon Beach’s Haystack arts program for 8 years; helping to spread the burgeoning handcraft revival by training a good proportion of the outstanding art teachers working today and over the past fifty years. His students had the benefit of workshops with Peter Voulkos, Daniel Rhodes, Paul Soldner and Marvin Lipofsky, to name just a few. One PSU faculty said that his ceramic department was where the excitement and action was.
Call for Entry
· Eligibility: Applicants must be educators anywhere within Oregon and SW Washington area, and be instructing students in the Ceramic Arts. Your institution may be in private or public schools – Elementary, Middle or High Schools, college level, community based classes or adult education. Privately teaching in your own studio does not qualify.
· OPA members who only instruct through OPA’s Clay In Education do not qualify because they may be approved for clay in Education funds.
· To Apply : complete a proposal, maximum one page (no font less than 11 pt), with a brief description of yourself, and an outline and explanation of how the funds would be utilized to aid and enrich your students. The award may be used to fund equipment materials and supplies, field trips, or bring in outside instruction - just to name a few. Your proposal should start with your name and address, and the name and address of the school or institution where the funds will be used, digital photographs can accompany your submissions.
Print and download the proposal here: 2019 Ray Grimm Memorial Award
· Email proposal to firstname.lastname@example.org
· Deadline: Applications are to be received electronically or by post by: April 1st, 2019
Jury Process completed by April 14th, 2019
The winner of the award will be decided by a jury process consisting of arts professionals, educators or associates
Presentation of Award
The artist, Jere Grimm, Ray’s wife, will be presenting this award at the Ceramics Showcase at the Convention Center on Saturday, April 28th, 2019. It is requested that the winner be present for this award.
Responsibility of Recipient
Recipient of the 2019 Ray Grimm Memorial Award will be required to report back to the Board of Directors on usage of the award and perhaps make a presentation at one of the OPA General Membership. The award money can be used for the 2018-2019 school year or the following year, 2019-2020.
With this award, the Grimm Family hopes to support ceramic educators to provide expanded instructional resources.