Application Due Date: March 23, 2019
The Oregon Potters Association is pleased to announce our 2019 Scholarship Program. The competition is open to all high school juniors and seniors living in Oregon and SW Washington and will award $1000 to a student who shows creative and technical excellence in the field of ceramics. The scholarship will be awarded during a ceremony at the 2019 OPA Ceramic Showcase, the all-clay show that OPA sponsors every spring at the Oregon Convention Center in Portland’s Rose Quarter. The scholarship funds will be held in trust and paid directly to the college entered by the student. We recommend that students with exceptional imagination and technical skill enter this competition.
Entries may be either functional, sculptural, or decorative objects made of clay. Only one entry per student.
The application deadline is March 23, 2019 - you must complete the following:
After the March 23th application deadline, the OPA Board of Directors will perform a preliminary review of submitted images to choose pieces for display in the High School Scholarship booth at OPA Ceramics Showcase. Notification of acceptance for display will be emailed by Sunday, April 7, 2019.
The High School Scholarship winner will be chosen by a jury of professional ceramic artists. The awards ceremony will be held at the show on the evening of Saturday, April 27th. The winner’s name will be posted on the OPA website:
For general info on OPA Scholarships www.oregonpotters.org/opa-scholarships.html
Immediate relatives of OPA members are not eligible for the scholarship
If you, the instructor, have questions, please contact:
OPA High School Scholarship Coordinator Meg Turner
Questions? Email: email@example.com
Important dates to Remember:
- March 23, 2019 Application deadline (online only)
- April 7, 2019 Notification by OPA of acceptance
- April 23, 2019 Shipped artwork: arrival deadline
- April 24 and 25, 2019 Hand-delivery Oregon Convention Center
- April 26 – 28, 2019 OPA Ceramic Showcase Gallery Drop off booth
- April 27, 2019 Scholarship awarded, approximately 3:30 pm
- April 28, 2019 Artwork pick-up 2:30 -3:30 pm
Most commonly asked questions?
- Do I have to submit the piece I juried with or may I submit something I finished after I sent in my application?
You must submit the exact piece that is juried.
2. May I submit a piece that has been in the OPA Showcase before?
You may not submit a piece that has been previously submitted to the Scholarship Program. However, you may submit a piece that has been on show in the High School Gallery.
3. Who is eligible?
The Scholarship Program is open to High School Juniors and Seniors in Oregon and SW Washington.
4. What percentage of my piece has to be clay?
Each piece must be at least 75% clay.